Sunday, July 25, 2010

Genre and Outline

This week is all about genre, how to set the scene from the start so that the reader has an idea of what’s coming at them.

Genre is a bit of a strange one for me, I always thought I would write horror fiction and indeed my first novel is treading these waters, but more recently I’ve become interested in thrillers, crime, fairytales, romance and comedy. So expect literature from me in the future in a variety of genres, with no doubt some overlapping.

I promised you that I would post up the outline for my first novel this week, well it appears below, and as it’s genre week then I guess it needs a label. As much as I hate labels, if I had to with my first novel, then I would say it’s dark romance.

Enjoy!

Silence (working title)

Sophie’s wrist slashing would always be with him. Today his girlfriend would be buried, but Nick, through panic-stricken grief, would not attend. He offers no resistance to being relocated to a new home and a new life, far away from that scene, that memory.

There he meets his new neighbour Carrie. She, and a reclusive Nick form a reluctant friendship as they confide in each other.

As he battles with his unfamiliar surroundings, the locked doors, the haunting voices and footsteps, the isolation and the paranoia of falling in love all over again, Nick fears for his sanity.

His one saviour is Carrie.

But she has a story to tell.

Sophie’s story.

www.davidsellars.com

No comments:

Post a Comment